Parents always want their children to perform well at school and they need to take an active role in ensuring good education for their children. Parents can make sure that children have fewer problems at school and they become more successful in life. Children who get assistance from their parents will become more successful in life. If parents only contribute by sending to and picking children up from school, then they should reconsider their role. Here are things parents should do to contribute more for their children:
- Pay attention to children: It is important for parents to pay attention to their children. This could happen if children fully trust their parents. Many parents are being judgmental to their children and they fail to listen. It is important for parents to be receptive and stop being judgmental. If this happens, over time children will be ready to tell parents their issues and problems. In most cases, children simply want to be accepted by their peers and they want to build relationships. Parents should know how to best protect their children and find out about bad things that can happen. They need to have full control on what’s happening to their children.
- Understand children as individuals: Children should be treated as unique individuals with their unique preferences and requirements. Parents should stop comparing their children with oyjers. Scolding children will only bring bad results, because this could hurt their confidence. It is very likely that you children has an untapped reserved of talents and attributes. Parents should know how to discover and utilize these hidden reserves. Instead of commanding children to do something, it is better if parents challenge their children to achieve a goal. Each success should be celebrated, even if it’s a small achievement. Some children are slow learners and they need some extra effort to achieve something, but it doesn’t mean that they can’t have great successes.
- Encourage children to read: Parents should find a way to make children love to read. Parents can’t expect children to enjoy reading textbooks on math, science and English, if they don’t enjoy reading any kind of book. Since early age, parents should engage the mind of their children by giving them great books to read.
- Be patient: It is important for parents to practice their patience with children. Children will make mistakes and in many cases, they don’t intend to make mistakes. In some cases, children need enough repetition to understand about a subject. Parents shouldn’t get easily angry with children, because children will think that studying is a potentially threatening situation.
- Be positive: Parents should be supportive and positive. Regardless of what children do, parents should ensure to perform positive reinforcement. Parents need to provide compliments and be generous with that. This is important if parents want their children to do well in school. Parents need to show love regardless of what happen. Just saying things like “Keep it up!” or “Good Job!” could already mean much to children and they can be very motivated with that.